Ah, summertime! The warm sun and outdoor fun are what memories are made of. It’s also the time when several bugs thrive in the heat and humidity. Keep your memories pest free by watching out for these summer spoilers.
1. Mosquitoes – The hot and humid climate is perfect for them to feed and breed. Even a tiny bit of standing water is enough for them to lay eggs and produce more of these blood-sucking pests. However, mosquitoes are more than just a nuisance because they carry and transmit diseases such as malaria, Zika virus, West Nile virus, dengue and Chikungunya virus. In fact, mosquitoes are considered one of the deadliest insects on the planet because of the diseases they transmit.
2. Fleas – Find your pets scratching and itching? Blame it on the fleas. Fleas thrive in humid climates and look for any good meal to come by, like your pet. Keep them at bay by treating your pet with preventative year round.
3. Ticks – The summer companion to fleas that likes to take a bite out of your pet (or you) are ticks. Considered another of the most deadly insects in the world, ticks carry and transmit Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Lyme and a number of Lyme co-infections. The tick populations have been surging throughout the U.S. due to relatively mild winters for most of the nation and an increase in rodent and deer populations.
4. Ants – Ants come into your home looking for food. They can detect the tiniest crumb so being super clean can help keep ants out of your home. However, even the cleanest home can be invaded by ants looking for a meal.
5. Stinging Insects – Bees, wasps and hornets, oh my! There are a lot of stinging insects out in the summer months, when they thrive and reproduce. Bees are the least likely to sting as they typically die afterward because their stinger rips free from their body. However, wasps (especially yellow jackets) and hornets can sting multiple times without losing their stinger and are most likely to sting you. They also have to build a new nest every year so keep an eye on eaves and other places that provide good shelter for a nest.
6. Flies – Not just a nuisance, these pests get into your home and multiply. They carry and spread germs and can be a pain to get rid of.
If you have issues with any of these summertime pests, it’s time to call The Pest Force! We can rid your home or yard of these pests and help you have a relaxing and pest-free summer.