Here in South Carolina, our spring weather tends to come earlier than in many other parts of the country. This means you need to be aware of spring pests earlier than other areas as well. There are numerous early spring pests trying to make their way into your home. Here is the list of early spring pests to watch out for and how to avoid them.
Early Spring Pests
Our relatively early spring means pests are out and about sooner than in colder climates.
Here are the bugs to watch out for:
- Carpenter Ants
- Carpenter Bees
- Carpet Beetles
Avoiding Early Spring Pests
Avoiding an infestation of early spring pests is far better than treating one.
Here are some tips on how you can avoid infestations of early spring pests.
- Clean your gutters. Make sure all leafy debris is cleared out and your gutters are clean. This keeps pests from taking up residence in gutter debris and eventually making their way into your house.
- Seal cracks, crevices, gaps and holes. Inspect the outside of your home, especially near doors, windows and outdoor spigots or plumbing and seal any cracks, gaps or other spaces you see. This prevents bugs from coming in through those cracks.
- Trim trees and shrubs away from the house. Don’t give pests a bridge right into your home.
- Keep trash tightly sealed and take trash out frequently. Trash can attract pests.
- Don’t use mulch near the house. If you already have mulch near your house, turn it frequently to help dry it out and make it less hospitable to bugs.
- Repair window and door screens. Holes in door and window screens are like an open invitation for bugs.
- Keep your kitchen clean. Counters and floors are common areas where crumbs collect. Keep the kitchen clean to avoid providing a welcoming food source for pests.
- Store food in air-tight sealed containers. Pests love a stocked pantry. Don’t let your pantry become a magnet for pests.
- Call The Pest Force. The best treatment is prevention. Our quarterly pest services help prevent infestations before they occur.
Avoiding early spring pests takes a little bit of effort but the payoff is well worth it – a pest-free home. If you aren’t already a customer for our quarterly treatment service, call The Pest Force today to get on our schedule. It’s takes only a few minutes and we’ll help protect your home and property against those pesky early spring pests.